Sunday, October 9, 2011

Champions Online: The Impulse

My new favorite archetype lately is The Impulse.  This archetype uses the Force power set.  I never got to experiment with this when I was making custom characters so this was a learning experience for me.

I created a character called Miss USA since this was around the time of Independence Day and when the Captain America movie came out.

I like the tech look so I went with that for my initial costume.

I have to say I LOVE this archetype.  It does pretty well offensively and I chose the force field powers to have a great defense.  Here's what I love about this archetype:

Personal Force Field - This is a slotted passive that I never used before and I'm glad I found out about it.  Instead of healing yourself, like Regeneration, the Personal Force Field takes the damage before you get to your hit points.  Most of the time, I kill my opponents before my shield is destroyed.  Love it.

Force Eruption - Since you only have ranged attacks, the farther they are from you the better.  That's where Force Eruption comes in.  I use this quite a bit to get melee enemies off me.  Although sometimes it can be bad when you fling your enemies in different directions, you just need to know when to use this power.  I also use the Gravitational Polarity advantage to get more damage in my attacks. This is one of my favorite pictures of zombies getting tossed:


Field Surge - Run out of your Personal Force Field and getting ready to die?  Field Surge gives you back your force field!  It's a lifesaver most of the time when the battle is going bad.

Crushing Wave - This is my main attack when facing two or more enemies.  Sometimes you can even see the cone and try to get your opponents in there.  Love it.

Protection Field - I chose this power because it almost functions like a healer.  Only thing you're preventing damage instead of healing.  Presence scales with your force field power.  That's great because you do want to take the damage with your Personal Force Field while everyone else is attacking.

Inertial Dampening Field - I haven't used this in a group situation yet.  But, it sounds really good.  In addition to your force fields, this toggle can help mitigate the damage your team is taking.

I got my character up to level 32 and this could be the first time I get to level 40.  The Force power set would actually be better as a Freeform character because you can set up offensive and defensive builds.  Still I love the archetypes because you don't have to spend much time thinking about your next power.

1 comment:

  1. I love the costume. Definitely reminscent of Cap (especially the torso) but has a whole other look to it all the same.

    I never cared much for Force myself, but I think I was trying to use it for an offensive build when may of it's abilities are fairly obviously better for defense. I'll have to give it another shot one of these weeks.

    ReplyDelete