Monday, May 2, 2011

Champions Online: The Inventor

I'm a little behind on my archetypes now.  Because I'm a Gold Member (ha ha Goldmember) on Champions Online I get all the new archetypes that come out.  One of the archetypes that really interested me was The Inventor.


I like to make superheroes based on real people so I decided to create one based on one of today's most well-known "inventors."  I named him "Apple Fanboy."

Back in my City Of Villains days, my favorite archetype was The Mastermind.  It was the ultimate pet archetype and I haven't seen an MMO come close to the fun I had playing that.  Well, the Gadgeteering power set in Champions Online is the closest thing.  When Champions first came out, I was always distracted by other power sets and mixing and matching power sets and was not able to get a really good Gadgeteering character leveled up.  With the new Inventor archetype, it is so much easier to focus on being the tech guru of Champions.

As I mentioned, Gadgeteering is your main power set.  The only deviation from Gadgeteering is the Energy Shield from the Power Armor power set.


Gadgeteering has a great endurance building starting weapon called Sonic Blaster.  As soon as you get two Advantage points, spend them on the Refraction of Sound upgrade.  That makes your Sonic Blaster shoot in a cone which is ideal for group killing.  The Sonic Blaster also has a chance to knockback your opponents which is a great defensive feature.


The Experimental Blaster is great for single targets or to target the strongest opponent in your group as a first attack.  It also has a pretty good range as well.



The Experimental Burst Ray is a ranged area attack that has better range than Sonic Blaster + Refraction of Sound.  This is good for a first attack on a group, although they have to be pretty close together to get damage.

Medical Nanites are really nice.  It's not quite what Regeneration was, but it's always helpful to get more health.  Especially since The Inventor does not have as much defense as other archetypes.  The Nanites are also useful in healing your pets and other group members.

Which bring me to my next point....


PETS!

When you reach level 11, you get to pick your offensive pets.  There are Attack Toys! and Munitions Bots.  Attack Toys! have interesting side effects if the cute toys match the theme of your character.  However, I usually go for the Munitions Bots for the pure damage and the tech theme.  You have full control of your pets.  The Munitions Bots can transform between movable robots with arm guns or immovable machine gun cannons that do more damage.  This will probably be your bread and butter damage power while your personal weapons are mostly crowd control and endurance builders.

If you've never had a chance to play a character with pets, I say try out The Inventor.  So far, I'm having a blast!

No comments:

Post a Comment